The objective of National Honor Society is to recognize students who have demonstrated achievement in the following four areas:
Juniors or seniors who have acquired a 3.5 GPA will be invited to apply based on scholarship. Eligible students must indicate their desire to be considered by submitting materials demonstrating their accomplishments in the remaining three areas of character, leadership, and service.
Candidates will be considered based on the quality of their essays and evidence of character, leadership, and service. Because all four areas are considered in the selection process, a top academic student may not be selected if any of the other areas are lacking.
While membership in National Honor Society is an honor for deserving students, it is also a responsibility. Upon induction into NHS, selected students will be expected to participate in chapter activities, including meetings and service projects, and to uphold the standards of character, scholarship, leadership, and service.
- Parents of juniors and seniors with a GPA of 3.5 or higher will receive an email notifying them of their student’s eligibility and information on how to apply.
- Students who choose to commit to involvement in NHS will complete their application and share with Shannon Horton, co-advisor, at email@example.com. (Please note the email address is NOT @decorahvikings).
- There will be an informational meeting in December in the auditorium to field any questions about the application process.
- An anonymous faculty council will review all applications and determine which students will be offered membership into NHS.
- In December, applicants will be notified by email whether or not they have been selected for membership.
- Selected students will participate in an induction ceremony held in the high school auditorium on Monday, January 30 at 7:00 p.m.
Consists of a Student Information Form, a Community Reference Form and an essay. The document below combines all three items.
Google Application Document (must make a copy)
Application documents must be emailed to Shannon Horton (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 3:30 p.m. Monday, December 5th.
Questions about National Honor Society should be directed to one of the advisors:
- Liz Fox, email@example.com
- Shannon Horton, firstname.lastname@example.org