All children enrolling in kindergarten and ninth grade are required to have a dental screening. The purpose of the dental screening requirement is to improve the oral health and the early detection and treatment of dental disease.
- The requirement applies to kindergarten and ninth grade students only.
- A screening for kindergarten is valid from age three years to four months after the enrollment date and may be performed by a licensed dentist, dental hygienist, physician, nurse, advanced registered nurse practitioner, or physician assistant.
- A screening for ninth grade is valid from one year prior to enrollment to four months after the enrollment date and must be performed by a licensed dentist or dental hygienist only
- Screenings performed by out-of-state providers are allowed.
- The Iowa Department of Public Health Certificate of Dental Screening is the only acceptable form.
The purpose of the child vision screening program is to improve the eye health and vision of Iowa’s children. The child vision screening program establishes a comprehensive vision evaluation effort to facilitate early detection and referral for treatment of visual impairment in order to reduce vision impairment in children.
Blood Lead Screening
In Iowa all children entering kindergarten should have at least one blood lead level test by the age of 6 years old. The goal of this testing is to protect children from lead damage in their developing brains and nervous systems and reducing the number of children with developmental and learning problems related to lead exposure.
Your child’s health care provider will recommend treatment or monitoring if your child has been exposed to lead.
Student hearing screenings are conducted by an audiologist from the AEA. Routine screenings for students in grades transitional kindergarten, kindergarten, 1st, 2nd & 7th.
All students who failed the screening in the preceding year, are new to the district, or have a known hearing loss are tested annually. Any student may be checked at any time if requested by the parent. Also, the teachers may request a hearing check at any time with parent permission.